Monday, August 19, 2013

Back in the swing of things with a New Syllabus

Page 1 of 3
After an enjoyable long summer break that included an extended family vacation, helping to chaperon a student group on a 13-day trip to Europe, and attending NTPRS13 in Dallas, I am gearing up for a new school year. My students start school on Monday, August 26, but I feel like I'm already back at work because I've been at school several days for the last few weeks helping to interview Spanish teacher applicants, staff meetings for department chair and department day meetings, moving my classroom things and the new teacher's things to new rooms, and prepping my classroom for the new school year.


Even though I haven't written on this blog since school ended, I have continued reading other blogs and gleaning ideas from them.  After I saw the results of the Creative Classroom Blog's Syllabus challenge, and after reading Martina Bex's post on her new syllabus,  I knew I had to up my game and revise my syllabus.  

Page 2 of 3
Page 3 of 3
After investing more hours than I care to admit, I completed my syllabus last night.  A special thank you to Martina Bex for the Student/Teacher Responsibilities section, to Inga Templeton for the Advanced, Proficiency, etc. section, and to my daughter for posing for the texting photo on the last page. 

Click here for access to the syllabus.

4 comments:

  1. I just found your blog while checking out my daughter's teachers on the Palmyra High School website. I am the World Language Dept. Coordinator (and fellow Spanish teacher) at Hershey High School. I would love to share ideas between departments. I know that your teachers had previously visited our middle school but I would like hear hear more how you all are using TPRS at the high school level. Also, we would love to hear about / share any technology integration ideas, as this is a huge focus at our school.
    Wishing you the best as you get ready to start school on Monday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Barbara
      Thank you for introducing yourself! Sharing ideas between departments sounds like a great idea. I'm always looking for new ideas and I enjoy collaborating with others. How convenient that we're in neighboring school districts. Maybe we can plan a time to get together and talk in the not too distant future.
      I found you on Twitter and followed you, so I'll send you a DM with my number and email.
      Three days of summer remaining...as always, I'm not sure where the time went.
      Cynthia

      Delete
  2. I know this is late and this post is not new... but it's new to me and I LOVE IT!!!! I was trained to just do a very low-key, professional (boring), college styled syllabus. I absolutely LOVE this idea. Thank you for sharing (2 years ago)!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for your comments, Morgan. Lately I've seen teachers using online tools, such as Canva, to make their syllabus even more interesting and colorful. Check an example here: Syllabus Example on Canva

    ReplyDelete