Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Robo en la noche - ch 6 & 7

When I read a mini-novel with my students, we are not always able to read a chapter each day. For the times when more than one day has passed between reading chapters, I plan a quick review to review what has previously happened in the book.  Below are plans and resources I made and used for chapters 6 and 7 of Kristy Placido's book Robo en la Noche.

 Verbal Review before reading Chapter 6 of Robo en la noche
1. ¿En qué  país están Makenna y su padre?
2. ¿Por qué fueron ellos a Costa Rica? ¿De vacaciones? ¿Para visitar a la madre de Makenna?
3. ¿Cuál es la ocupación del Dr. David Parker?
4. ¿Quién es Cecilio?
5. ¿Qué es la relación entre Margarita e Inés?
6. ¿Cuántos años tiene Inés?
7. Si Inés tiene cuarenta y tres años, ¿cuántos años piensan Uds. tiene Margarita?
8. ¿Quién es Ricardo?
9. ¿Es Ricardo el primer esposo de Margarita? ¿el segundo?
10. ¿Qué pasó a su primer esposo? ¿Fue a Puerto Rico? ¿Salió Costa Rica para trabajar en otro país?
11. ¿Por cuántos años vivió Inés con su padre? (Trick question)
12. ¿Ricardo adoptó a Inés?
13. ¿Quién es Juan Carlos? (Es el hermano de Cecilio? ¿Es el amigo de Makenna? ¿Es el hijo de Ricardo?)

Chapter 7 of Robo en la noche
1. I recorded myself reading chapter 7 because I did not want to read it 3 times (I have 3 Spanish 2 classes this semester.)
2. As students listened to the reading, they completed the worksheet below 


I made the second version of the worksheet with additional prompts that I posted to our Edmodo group for those students that were not in class.  I also could use the second version in an effort to differentiate learning in my classroom. 

3. My original plan was to put students in pairs and have them write questions that a policeman would ask Makenna regarding the robbery of the birds and what she saw the next day. Then I was going to have them record their conversation and email the file to me. Ten minutes into the activity I realized this was a bad decision on my part and after thirty minutes, I collected the papers and ended future work on this. 

For my afternoon class, we wrote 6 possible police questions in the "tú" form together and then answered them as if we were Makenna (using the "yo" form.)

4. After my failed plans in #3, I decided to use the paper found HERE to basically do the same thing I was attempting to do before (give students more exposure to the tú form and answer in the "yo" form). Hopefully it will be more useful than the #3 activity.



**updated/corrected thanks to comments left by an anonymous :) reader. I always welcome corrections from my readers but I would ask that you be respectful when leaving comments about the corrections.  I continue to be a "student" of the language and enjoy growing in my knowledge when it is presented in a considerate and respectful manner :-)😉 

As a wise friend says, "Always take the high road. It may not be the easiest, but the view is always better!"
 


   

7 comments:

  1. Love the police report idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha. Just looking at this post again and thought, "Love the police report idea!" Two years later. Also, I wrote the original comment the day before Leland was born, aw :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw. Leland was my buddy at AFLA that year (aka as the year his mom invited a stranger to her family's house for the night.) HaHa

      Delete
  3. Hey Cynthia,

    Do you have a copy of the activity you have your students do during reading? I can't see it above nor do I see a link. Also, thank you for this wealth of help!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello! Thank you for these amazing resources and for sharing your experience with this book. This is the first time I am reading it with my Spanish 2's.
    I love the idea of the police report, but I couldn't get the link to load it. I know it has been a few years since this was first posted, but it possible to get a copy of this? Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I can send you a copy. Reply to this comment with your email and I will forward it to you.

      Delete