Leave it to my extended family, that loves to play games, to give me an idea for a game to use with my Spanish classes. After eating our Thanksgiving Day feast, my niece stood up and announced that she had a game for us to play before we left the table. Before we had arrived at her house, she had taped a question underneath everyone's chair. She chose someone to select a person and read the question to that person. That person answered the question by choosing someone in the room that they thought best fit the answer to the question. When the question was answered, the person that answered the question then read his/her question, and so forth. It was a fun game and engaging because it was interesting to see how others answered.
This game/activity can easily be adapted in the MFL classroom. I listed the questions below, but you could easily change them or add questions that suit your students. In the lower levels, I suggest using only vocabulary that students already know or vocabulary that can be made comprehensible with little effort. The goal is not necessarily to introduce new vocabulary, but to provide more input, keep the students engaged, and offer an opportunity for students to respond in the TL.
Below are the questions that my niece had prepared. (again - translate them into the language you teach and edit them as necessary to make them comprehensible and interesting to your students).
- What sport would the person beside you most likely win gold at the Olympics?
- If the person beside you wrote a book, what would it be about?
- If the person beside you was a cartoon, who would they be?
- Who in this room tells the best jokes?
- If the person beside you starred in a movie, what would it be?
- Who in this room has the best smile?
- Where do you want to be in 5 years?
- What is your favorite (holiday/summer/school) memory?
- Who in this room would most likely appear on the Nightly News? Why?
- Who in this room is the most technologically savvy?
- Who in this room is the best cook?
- If you could go to any concert for free, who would you go see? Why?
- Who in this room would most likely appear on Survivor? Would they win?
- Who in this room would most likely run for public office? What office?
- Who in this room has the worst spelling?
- Who in this room is most likely to pick up a hitchhiker?
- Who in this room is the best dancer?
- Who in this room would most likely win The Amazing Race? And who would be their partner?
- Who in this room is most attached to their pet?
- Who in this room is most likely to go see The Hobbit?
- Who in this room would win The Hunger Games?
- What animal does the person to your left resemble?